Thursday, June 20, 2013

How Will You Use Your Power?

I have been so blessed by your comments!  I can hardly believe that it has been less than a year, and I have had over 400 comments now!  And I treasure all your words.

Today, I am very happy to have Rebecca from She Becomes guest post!  She was the author to the 400th comment on this blog.  Rebecca has a heart children.  She loves on  and advocates for kiddos with special needs.  Please check out She Becomes..., where Rebecca speaks up for those who cannot speak for themselves! (Proverbs 31:8-9)

Thank you, Rebecca, for this great reminder-
In the back of my Bible I have a list that I read regularly. A list of words, spoken to me by others, that have encouraged me or challenged me in a positive way. Some of these words were from people I know well, but most of them were from acquaintances. A few of these quotes don't even have a name next to them, as they were spoken to me by strangers. These words have pushed me towards pursuing my dreams, seeking God’s will for my life, and at times have given me the boost of courage I need to face my fears.  
At night when I lay down to sleep there are other words that run through my mind. They pop up, without warning, and are almost impossible to silence. Words that have cut me down and made me feel less than whole. And then at times my own words run through my head, some spoken years ago, that I wish I could take back.

Words are powerful.

Over the last several months, as I have been facing a challenging and stressful time in my life, I have found myself even more sensitive to the words that are spoken to me. Just a few of them, strung together, have the power to help me through the day or turn me into a puddle of tears.
Just today I got a note of encouragement and a small gift from a friend, and it lifted my spirit to say the least.

 
As a result of the profound power of words on my own life, I have made a goal to be more intentionally encouraging, supportive, and positive with my own words. I have discovered there is not a kindness switch that I can simply turn on or off. To be more intentional with my words, it starts with being more intentional in prayer, meditation, and time in The Word.

"A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of." -Luke 6:45 
I work with students with special needs, and just as I hope that the words and tone that I use can lift them up and support their dreams, I hope that I will use the opportunities that God gives me to do the same for my coworkers, friends, family, the barista at Starbucks, the cashier at the grocery store, my Compassion kids, or the teenager who sits behind me at church.

You never know what someone is going through, and how your words may impact their day, and maybe their life.


2 comments:

  1. Great post, Becca! I'm going through the book of Ephesians right now and the Lord just gave me a challenge to see how intentional I am being with my friends. And words definitely have a BIG part to play in friendships. Thanks for this encouraging post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an encouraging post! Thanks for sharing, Becca! And thank you, Lizzie, for having Becca post on your blog.

    ReplyDelete