Monday, December 17, 2012

Biblical Giving

Today, we are going to explore giving, specifically what the Bible says about it.  When I thought about Biblical giving, two verses came to mind-
They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need.  -Acts 2:45 
For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability.  -2 Corinthians 8:3
While there are other verses about giving, I am sure, these come to mind for me. Perhaps it is because I have been reading the New Testament lately or maybe I heard a sermon about them. However, I think that is not why. I think these verses stuck with me for one reason- they show true generosity.

No, I am not saying that we should go and sell all we have.  But as Matthew West says in his song "My Own Little World" (which I recommend you listen to), "I throw a twenty in the plate but I never give 'til it hurts."  

I think we all have a tendency to keep a protective blanket on our money.  You know, give some, but keep some just in case we don't have enough.  When I read the verses above, it seems to me that the people were not doing that.  Not only were they giving some but all- their stuff too.  

During Christmastime, I think we should not focus on just giving gifts.  I believe we should give our time and talents too.  We have all been gifted uniquely.  

Perhaps you would like to help a family in poverty this Christmas.  By giving them some essentials, we could help them notice their gifts.  Maybe schoolroom would inspire a child to become a teacher or writer.

Help us raise $20,000 for children in poverty this Christmas.

Lizzie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment