Sunday, November 24, 2013

In Jesus' Name!

I've been thinking lately about all the ways that God has used Compassion to change my life.  And I thought what better time to post about it than after Jessi's guest post (Love is an Action: Compassion Changes Everything!)?

I think back three years ago.  My sister wanted to travel around Europe and go to college in another country.  For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why!  I had no reason whatsoever to go outside the USA.  Then, I got my first Compassion child Aprila.  The moment I saw her, I wanted to go see her.  Compassion has definitely given me a reason and a desire to travel internationally!  My greatest hope is that one day I will be able to meet many of my kiddos face-to-face.  I can't imagine the moment when I would see them running towards me.  My best guess is that I would feel like I was in a dream because something so awesome couldn't actually happen to me!

Similarly, I have learned a LOT of geography!  When I first started corresponding with Aprila, I read the entire Compassion site.  I learned about countries I didn't even know existed!  Now, I can point to them on a map, recognize their flag, and name their capitol.  I've even learned some of the islands in Indonesia.  For sure, Compassion has taught me geography.

But more importantly than all of that, God has used Compassion to change me more into who He wants me to be.  

First, God has shown me through Compassion that there are people who have nothing and that it is His plan for His Church to help them.  I used to think that I was poor.  I was very greedy and selfish.  Every penny I had I spent on myself just for fun.  I did not know that there were people who were literally starving to death or dying of curable diseases or even living in extreme poverty.  

Being a Compassion sponsor and advocate has helped me see that there are many people in this world in great physical need.  But that is not all, Compassion also gave me a tangible way to help those people in Jesus' Name!  

Secondly, God has used Compassion to give me a love for all people.  The second I saw Aprila's face, I fell in love with her.  I did not even know it was possible to love someone who I had never met.  But God has given me such a great love for each of my kiddos.  Through different things I have read because of Compassion, God has begun to give me a love for all people.  He is helping me see them in a positive way and giving me a desire to show them His love.  

Thirdly, God has taught me through Compassion's ministry that it's not all about me.  It's all about Him, in fact.  When I realized that there were many people who are in need, I began to understand that it didn't matter if I had all the clothes and toys and electronics and so on that everyone else had or wanted.  What matters is if I'm spreading Jesus' love.  God has changed my heart so much that I don't even want the "in" things.  I just want others to have the opportunity to get to know the God Who loves them so much.

Fourthly, God has proven Himself faithful to the end through my Compassion sponsorships.  I have no income and I don't get money often, yet every time I go to pay for my Mabel's monthly sponsorship, I have all I need.  I don't have to worry if God is going to provide, because I know He is.  And the neatest thing is that He has provided in so many ways that I never would have imagined!  Just saying, my God is an awesome God!

I could probably go on-and-on about the MANY ways that God has changed me through my partnership with Compassion, but I will end for now here.


If you would like to experience God's love in new ways, why don't you sponsor a child (or a new child) today?  I guarantee you, it will change your life radically!  God will use that child and this ministry to transform you into a different person.

Right now I have child packets for 3 boys - Diego, Diogo, and Rased - would you please look over their profiles prayerfully?  Or will you go to compassion.com to prayerfully consider sponsoring a child (warning: there are some extremely cute kiddos with videos!  You may not be able to resist.)?

2 comments:

  1. I love all that God has taught you via being a Compassion sponsor!!! It's so encouraging to hear stories of God's faithfulness. I know the feeling of having no income and wondering where the money would come from…that's how I started sponsoring too!! But God always provided :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, God uses Compassion in amazing ways! It's the best thing that has ever happened to me :) Yeah, it can get to be stressful when you have no income but have money comittments, but then I just gotta remember that God will provide :)

      Delete