Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Philippine Typhoon

I am supposed to write about it.  I am supposed to compose a compelling post.  I am supposed to make sense out of the chaos in a world far away.

But, I can't.

I can't figure out how the disaster they are living in is a constant reality, yet for me, it is just a passing thought.  I can't figure out how they feel after their world has been turned upside-down while mine stays the same.  I can't figure out what it is like cause I've never been there.

You've all heard of the massive typhoon that hit the Philippines.  Probably, you've seen photos of it or heard stories about it.  Maybe you struggle with the fact that in just a little bit of time, ten thousand people lost their lives.  Perhaps you wonder why it was them, not you.

Yet no matter your thoughts, it's just thoughts to us.  It's just a world far away where a lot of people are suffering.  But us, we're here, and we're fine.  We think about the tragedy, and then we go about our day.

And when we think of the typhoon, we pray for those affected.  We pray that somehow in this that they will see God.  We pray that somehow through this that their lives will be changed for good.  We pray that His Name will be known and glorified.

I'd like to ask you to hop on over to this Compassion blog post to read some specific prayer requests from a Compassion leader in the Philippines - Pray for the Philippines

And if you would, please consider donating to help those who lost so much.  I'd be totally thrilled if you donated to help Compassion children and their families through this page - Philippines Typhoon  If you do, please know that a girl or a boy will be able to begin to rebuilding their home.  They will forever remember the generosity that was shown to them in the Name of Jesus.

One person gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.
 - Proverbs 11:24

2 comments:

  1. I think your post was challenging. Thank you for sharing on behalf of those in the Philippines!

    ReplyDelete